Save Hasdeo Forest: Comprehensive exploration and understanding of the ongoing protest
Save Hasdeo Forest: Hasdeo Arand Region a gem in the Surguja district of Chhattisgarh, boasts over 170,000 hectares of intact, biodiverse forests.
Home to over 350 species of animals, these pristine landscapes bordered by the vital Hasdeo River are facing threat as they have been excluded from India’s protected areas network. This absence makes them vulnerable to exploitation, highlighting the urgent need for conservation efforts in this rapidly shrinking forest ecosystem.
T.S. Singh Dev Advocates Ban on New Mines to Protect Tribal Welfare in Surguja, Chhattisgarh
- Campaign to Save Hasdev Forest:
- Large-scale efforts are underway due to the threat of deforestation for coal mining.
- Congress alleges the felling of 50 thousand trees.
- T.S. Singh Dev’s Intervention:
- Former Deputy CM speaks with CM Vishnu Dev Sai, urging a ban on new mine openings.
- Political tensions escalate as the issue gains prominence.
- CM Vishnu Dev Sai Attributes Deforestation to Congress:
- Trees cut for a new coal mine in Hasdev Aranya in North Chhattisgarh.
- Local tribals vehemently oppose the tree-cutting, sparking a widespread protest.
- Congress’s Movement Against BJP Government:
- Congress is preparing for a substantial movement against the BJP government in response to deforestation accusations.
- Chief Minister blames Congress for Hasdev forest destruction, citing previous government’s orders.
- Congress’s Rebuttal and Assembly Resolution:
- Congress refutes CM’s claims, citing a unanimous Assembly resolution on July 26, 2022.
- The resolution aims to cancel permissions for all mines in Hasdev Aranya.
- Field Battle Unfolds:
- Congress initiates a field battle with protests and symbolic actions.
- Former Congress MLA Vikas Upadhyay forms a human chain in Raipur, with the Congress Yuva Morcha planning to burn the effigy of the BJP government.
- Tribal Opposition to New Mines:
- Singh Dev asserts that the entire tribal community opposes mining in new mines.
- Local opinions vary on mining in existing mines.
- Dialogue with CM Vishnu Dev Sai:
- Singh Dev engages with tribal communities, gathering information on ground-level protests.
- Highlights the urgency and gravity of the situation related to Hasdev Aranya.
Related Article: Kanger Valley National Park Chattisgarh – Timings