Top Gujarati Foods and Drinks You Must Try in 2023
Top Gujarati Foods and Drinks You Must Try: Gujarati cuisine is renowned for its exceptional combination of spices and flavors. Whether you’re a food enthusiast or simply curious about diverse cuisines, Gujarat offers an array of delectable foods and drinks worth trying. Here are 10 dishes and beverages that you absolutely must experience.
What is Gujarati cuisine and what makes it unique?
Gujarati cuisine represents the traditional culinary style of the western Indian state of Gujarat. It is predominantly vegetarian due to the significant influence of Jainism and Vaishnavism, two prominent religious communities in Gujarat. This cuisine is celebrated for its sweet and savory flavors, extensive use of spices, and diverse cooking techniques.
- Dhokla: A fluffy, fermented batter made from rice and chickpeas, steamed, and served with green chutney. Its tangy flavor and spongy texture make it an irresistible snack.
- Khandvi: Thin layers of spiced chickpea flour rolled and garnished with mustard seeds and coconut. Its soft and velvety texture will simply melt in your mouth.
- Fafda: Deep-fried dough strips served with a spicy sauce. It is a popular snack during the festivals of Navratri and Diwali.
- Undhiyu: A mixed vegetable dish cooked with spices and coconut. It is a perfect hearty meal that is particularly popular during the winter season.
- Thepla: A flatbread flavored with fenugreek and served with pickles and yogurt. It is a quick breakfast and snack option that is both easy to make and carry.
- Dhokli nu shaak: A comforting stew made with lentil dumplings and vegetables. It is a delicious one-pot meal that will satisfy your hunger pangs.
- Mohanthal: A fudgy sweet made with chickpea flour, ghee, and nuts. It is the perfect dessert to complement your festive mood.
- Basundi: A creamy pudding made by boiling and reducing milk with sugar. It is a decadent treat that can be enjoyed both hot and cold.
- Shrikhand: A sweet yogurt dessert flavored with saffron and cardamom. It is the perfect dessert to beat the summer heat.
- Chaas: A refreshing yogurt drink flavored with cumin and mint. It serves as a perfect coolant during hot summers and aids digestion.
- Jaljeera: A tangy and spicy drink made with cumin, lemon, and black salt. It is a popular digestive that can be enjoyed as a mocktail or cocktail.
- Aam Panna: A cooling drink made with raw mangoes and spices. It is the perfect thirst quencher during hot summers.
- Khaman: Soft, fluffy steamed cakes topped with a sweet and spicy sauce. It is a popular street food of Gujarat and can be enjoyed as a breakfast or snack.
- Chorafali: Crispy snacks made with gram flour and served with chutney. It is a perfect tea-time snack that is easy to make and store.
- Locho: A savory cake made with fermented batter and topped with chutney. It is a street food delicacy that is particularly popular in Surat.
- Puran poli: Sweet flatbread filled with jaggery and lentils, served during festivals. It is a traditional dish that is an integral part of the celebrations in Gujarat.
- Ghari: A sweet pastry filled with khoa and nuts, made during the festival of Chandani Padva. It is a festive treat that is unique to Gujarat.
Q: What are some common ingredients used in Gujarati cuisine?
A: Gujarati cuisine extensively uses spices such as cumin, coriander, and turmeric; lentils and legumes like moong, chana, and urad; and flours like wheat, rice, and chickpea.
Q: Are Gujarati foods and drinks vegan-friendly?
A: Yes, almost all Gujarati foods and drinks are vegan-friendly due to the influence of the Jain and Vaishnav communities.
Q: Are there any popular restaurants or food markets in Gujarat to try these dishes?
A: Yes, Gujarat boasts many renowned food markets and restaurants where you can savor these dishes, such as Manek Chowk in Ahmedabad, Mandvi ni Pol in Bhavnagar, and Law Garden Night Market in Ahmedabad.
Gujarati cuisine offers a unique fusion of sweet and savory flavors that are sure to tantalize your taste buds. These 10 dishes and beverages mentioned above are an absolute must-try if you wish to explore the diverse flavors of Gujarat. Embark on a culinary adventure filled with aromatic spices, rich flavors, and captivating cultural traditions.
Related Articles: 5 Easy Tricks To Remember How To Pick Ripe And Sweet Pineapple